As the population in the United States lives longer, there are greater numbers of elderly people in nursing homes. After you shopped around to find the best nursing home possible for your loved one, you hope they are living in a facility where they are treated well, cared for and nurtured during the time that they have left.
However, sadly, that is not always the case. Although there are times when disturbing situations happen that harm the nursing home residents in some way, there are laws in every state, including in New York, that were written to protect nursing home residents. In fact, New York has taken great care to convince the federal government to put strict laws and regulations in place in nursing homes and to ensure that those laws and regulations are enforced. The state is working hard to eliminate nursing home abuse and neglect.
What are the nursing home regulations in New York state?
There are specific rights that nursing home residents have and it is of the utmost importance that they (as well as their loved ones) are aware of those rights so that they can take action if anyone is attempting to violate them. The state has put out a document called, “Your Rights as a Nursing Home Resident in New York State and Nursing Home Responsibilities.” You have free access to this document so that you are always aware of the nursing home resident’s rights and responsibilities.
The document contains a comprehensive list of nursing home laws and regulations. The list contains the following rights:
You have the right to:
- A comfortable living environment so that you can live with dignity and respect
- Quality care without discrimination
- Make your own decisions about your medical and personal care
- Protect your own money and personal property
- Admission, discharge and transfer in nursing homes that is protected
- Confidential communication with your physicians, friends and family members.
- Become involved with activities of your choosing
- Report bad behavior to the people in charge in the nursing home
- Exercise your rights without being afraid that there will be negative consequences
Solid advice from a nursing home abuse lawyer
If you or a loved one is experiencing neglect from someone in a nursing home, the sound advice of an experienced New York lawyer may make a tremendous difference to your case. The lawyer can help you to ensure that your rights are protected so you or your loved one are treated with dignity and respect at all times. It was probably a difficult decision to choose the particular nursing home and it is important that you have peace of mind knowing that it was the right decision.